Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pie # 18: Pecan Pie


It's December and that means it's time for me to try out traditional holiday pies! I've only eaten Pecan Pie once in my life time and the only thing I remember about this is that it was very, very long ago. I probably still wore glasses (Anyone who knows me, realizes that was eons ago). Anyway, I made a traditional pecan pie yesterday for a "Grown-Up Holiday Party." Since my friends and I are nearing 40 (only 15 more years!) we gathered to celebrate Christmas before our families takes priority for the rest of the month. Here is one of the pies I brought with me:

Traditional Pecan Pie from The Lost Art of Pie Making
(Printable Version)

Crust:
All-Shortening Crust (half recipe)

Filling:
3 eggs
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup pecans (I added another handful)

Beat 3 eggs. Stir in corn syrup, sugar, melted butter, vanilla and salt.

      
Corn syrup grosses me out.

Stir in pecans.


Pour into unbaked pie shell.



Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.





This is where I struggled: How do you know when your pecan pie is done? When I pulled mine out of the oven, it still moved a lot - as in, it hadn't set at all. I finally googled "How do I know when my pecan pie is done?" and learned that the pie sets up as it cools. At least, it's supposed to.

Mine did not set up. I have no idea why, so any suggestions would be great! The syrupy pie made a great sauce for the apple pie I also made. If your pecan pie fails as well - just remember to use it as a topper.

1 comment:

  1. Cook the pie until the center jiggles just a bit. Also replace your sugar with dark brown sugar (equal amounts) and you just may have the best pecan pie ever.

    ReplyDelete